Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Environmental Observations Lesson Plan

I created a lesson on Environmental Observations for my Ecology and Ecosystems unit. Observations are such an important part of science and are stressed in our lessons. Students get to observe various organisms in our classrooms, but I think they need to learn how to observe how they interact with organisms everyday. Using Flickr, students can post their photo observations and written analysis for others to read and comment on. Social computing is all about collaboration and the sharing of ideas. This lesson allows students to share ideas freely in a safe group environment created by the teacher online.

1 comment:

Kris Haines said...

What a cool lesson! I can envision your students clamoring to take not only pictures, but the one picture that really sparks many conversations amongst their classmates. And, the added feature of broadcasting it to the world brings real-world meaning to the activity.

I use a similar idea with my 3rd graders, only I have to provide the pictures because there are not enough digital cameras. I have them brainstorm as many words as possible about the picture. (This is kind of a beginner observation skill.)