Monday, September 24, 2007

Here's everything! Podcast,Vodcast,Blog,Weblog, etc

Art Pod cast:
Sheila Samuel ECOMP 7010

Art Node Podcast
http://www.artnode.org/projects/artpod/
This was really neat. I had never seen this concept before. They had their page with a white background, and a black I Pod in the middle with interactiveness on the menu buttons. You could select several podcasts to watch. It wasn’t elementary school, or school “high worthiness” but to get an idea of what can be done with something that has such a high appeal to kids already. I could see how the use of the IPod icon being used, and podcasts more appropriate for younger kids uploaded to them. The paint over, one of the pod casts was similar to a video game. It took place in a paint can filler assembly factory and it showed how the paint was made, put in the cans, lids sealed, put on the conveyer belt and shipped out in trucks.
The second one I watched, and without sound once I heard them “howling” was the Man who strayed. Dumb!!! I guess they will let anyone who has the capabilities set up and upload podcasts to the server!! You have to look at that one just so you can get aggravated!

Incredible Art Blogs
http://drawn.ca/
http://sketchcast.com/ (The Actual Site)

Above: Drawn! The Illustration and Cartooning Blog
I was guessing that this “Drawn!” would be a “blog” like the one we have to set up. I tried to choose one in my general “arts” related area. I read the “about” the site info, and it is a site to offer daily “inspiration” to artists who just want to draw. I may bookmark this blog and visit it when I have some leisure time.
It is awesome. Go to sketchcast.com.You log in, get a new “page” and draw on the screen…right then and there. Save your image and simply upload it to the blog, send to friends, communicate with people. They are calling it a “sketchcasting” pod!! They may be onto something. I have to read further details, but I’m wondering how I could make or use something like this with kids.


http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/links/blogs.html#pods



Vodcast:
Sesame Street Video Podcast (Word on the Street)
http://video.podcast.com/
I also teach kindergarten, and at our school, we try to keep them up on using the technology that we have available as well. They are no strangers to technology, even as young as they are. Ask any kindergartener how to operate a dvd, mp3 player, video game, IPod, computer, and they can tell you better than you would have ever hoped for. It’s the time they are living in. The world is high-tech, and they are “born” right into the throws of the technology revolution.
I was a little thrown with the differences of the kinds of vblogs, blogs,vodcasts, etc. So a vodcast is a video and sound broadcast? Am I right?
As always, Sesame is delightful and entertaining. The format is just like on tv. It has changed over the years, the images are crystal clear, they went out on the streets, and interviewed kids teaching vocabulary then showing word then image so that kids can link the two together. It uses Brian Williams as an anchor reinforcing the word of the day on Sesame Street. Great for student to world connections.

Weblog:
Tony Peters Art Weblog
http://www.tonypetersart.com/blogs/index.html
First of all, I have to say what an amazing artist. His artwork was moving. I love scenes like that. It reminded me of Edward Hopper’s style…realistic and having that lonesome feeling, but at the same time the work stands strong. Tony Peters, and many other artists are using weblogs to get in touch with the public and spread the word of their art, relate to others, share their visions and creations in the art world. Kids would be too young to do this, but I could see some serious high school students designing a blog of their work and getting the word out about their talents. Even though the design of the weblog was simple, I was hoping there would be a comment box or something, more interactive buttons. There were a couple of his links that did not work. But overall, it too is worth the look.









Color Magic: video podcast

I just made this in the spring of 07 for one of my classes. It is short, simple and to the point. I used my Skype headphone set, my digital camera, some props and Windows Movie Maker and made this color mixing video for my “little ones.” It is posted on You Tube. Below is the URL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZRXJuoa-s0








Mixing Colors
Grade 1
Ms Samuel

Intro: Did you know that all colors are made from three main colors? They are called the primary colors, and they are: Red, yellow, Blue


Task: We will learn how to mix the primary colors to make three new colors. These colors are called secondary colors, and they are orange, green and purple.



The final project will be to use the primary colors to make secondary colors through teacher lead demonstration and hands-on color mixing sessions.

Process:
1. The teacher will put children into groups of four.
2. The children will then work together while watching my video podcast I have uploaded to You Tube. Here is the URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZRXJuoa-s0




4. When the demonstration is over, students should have three primary colors and three secondary colors.
5. Students should also be able to describe what primary colors had to be mixed together to get the secondary colors orange, green, purple.

No comments: