Sunday, September 23, 2007

Thoughts, Podcasts and Vodcasts

So, it took me a bit longer to determine exactly what I could share that would be worthwhile. I have listened to various podcasts for a few years now, specifically the numerous NPR shows and Slate.com offerings. One of the downsides of living overseas is the lack of English language radio. I remember when CNN Headline news started airing while I was in Mexico, and what a treat that was, truly, I was very happy. But really, anyone who has watched Headline news knows how often they repeat stories and the limit of the depth just gets depressing.
I've tried using short wave radios to catch VOA or BBC, but you have to know the time tables and frequencies to keep up and it becomes a chase all the time to listen.
Podcasts in this case are brilliant.

I had a hard time finding video podcasts that I could use with students. I have a technology & design class and decided to look for things that I might use with them. I found:
Videos of How Things Are Made
I downloaded a number of episodes and decided that about half would be useful for me in some instances. There is a bridge building explanation that explains in pretty good detail the structure and details of bridges. However there is also a "how clocks are made" video that won't really be so useful. All the videos are sized for the iPod which won't be so helpful in class, but possibly students will be able to view them independently.


TedTalks

This one I found on iTunes


Each year, the TED(Technology, Entertainment, Design) conference hosts some of the world's most fascinating people: Trusted voices and convention-breaking mavericks, icons and geniuses.

Of course the writeup will sound better than the actual show, but the one I watched (John Maeda) was pretty good.

Hope you all find something interesting also.

No comments: