Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Web 2.0

When I watched the podcast of Web 2.0, I surely didn't expect to see Scotland in tiny print, nor hear the voice of a native. Did the idea of Web 2.0 originate in Scotland? Some parts of the podcast were hard to understand; probably due to the difference in culture and accents.
I did get that it is a great communication bridge, and that if we want the kids to "behave," then the use of technology, computers, IPods, pod casts, etc. would be the way to do it.
I tend to believe that statement! We have Smart Technology's interactive touch technology in our school. It's like a huge screen television. When there are images, sounds, or any other kinds of movements going on, I have their undivided attention. It's like they get entranced and they will do anything that I say.
The trick is, though to keep the content active, fresh and alive, or they grow tired of it and lose interest...and they can do that quickly. It is a good thing, I know, but then we wonder where all of the ADHD comes from!!

2 comments:

Carmin said...

"Did the idea of Web 2.0 originate in Scotland?"
I believe the idea collectively evolved. I could have certainly used a US based webcast about Web 2.0. I chose non-US based to imply that emerging tech is world wide -- hardly limited to what's happening in the US. Language limitations require that I select English spoken resources, but including the Scotsman is a reminder that we see only a partial picture through the filter of our language.

Sheila said...

Oh, I'm pretty sure that we are only seeing part of the picture here in the United States concerning the development of technology. In one of my earlier courses we had to research the beginnings of the world wide web. I was surprised, but not, that it all began in a lab in Cern, Switzerland. I was confused as to why they aren't taking the credit for such a powerful discovery. I never understood it. Look at Bill Gates. Kids today think that he is "the all of technology," when in fact, if not for the scientists in the Cern, Switzerland lab, he would not be where he is today.

I just had a little difficult time with the accent of the Scotsman in the podcast, and made it somewhat difficult to grasp the full meaning. I understand now that you were trying to say tht emerging technology is "global," but it seemed like I had a hard time understanding "the flow" of his conversations.