Friday, September 28, 2007

OLPC~~One Laptop Per Child!

During my research on wikis, I ran across the The OLPC Wiki (One Laptop Per Child), which is dedicated to the idea of cheap laptops for children in primarily developing countries. Originally, the idea was to develop and sell laptops for $100, and while the current target price is about $200 per laptop, the hope is that the cost will indeed drop to the $100 level by sometime in 2008. The five core principles that are espoused by OLPC are 1) child ownership; (2) low ages; (3) saturation; (4) connection; and (5) free and open source.

The basic concept is to market the laptops directly to governments. The OLPC was created by faculty members of the MIT Media Lab, and is now led by Nicholas Negroponte. The idea is to engage these students more directly by the use of a machine that has an operating system stripped down to a bare minimum and little mass storage. I was extremely excited to see that the project is still alive and well. The concept is outstanding and I hope to see it come to fruition soon.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Home

In addition to the OLPC wiki, I ran across a great, short (less than four minutes!) video describing what wikis are and how they can work. Check it out…it really clarified wikis for me!




John

3 comments:

Tanya Zamora said...

John,
The short video was awesome! It was very helpful to have a visual presentation of how the process of using a wiki to collaborate works. Thanks for posting it!

John said...

Tanya,
Thanks for the comment! I thought it was pretty cool...very simple and to the point. Also, it forced me to learn how to post a video in the blog! See you in a month!

john

amvCanada said...

John: Thanks for the video, I never really gave it any though one how to add additional pages! Great.

After reviewing the video I realized that WIKI and BLOGS have really changed the fact of web communications. Who needs to learn HTML any longer-everyone can have a voice!