Sunday, February 11, 2007

Animal Blog for Science Classroom

Hi everyone! I found it a little difficult to locate blogs that were student and classroom friendly. Most of those that I found were teacher created and especially for their students. It really made me want to start a safe blogging spot for my kids. At this point however, I do not think my school district will allow me to do so. As in November's podcast we listened to last week, our district's security would not allow for students to enter these kinds of websites at school (at this time). I think it is very important for us as educators to be able to use these sites to teach kids how to blog safely, not just ignore them and hope they go away! This technology is such a wonderful way for our students to publish their thoughts and ideas to the world and make their learning meaningful.
Anyway...onto my blog about animals...
This blog is related to the website http://kidsloveanimals.com/. The blog is located at http://kidsloveanimals.blogspot.com/. The blog contains videos of wild and not so wild animals. The author of the blog shares information about endangered animals. Since there are many videos embedded in the blog, it gives kids a clearer look at the animal in its environment. He shares information in a language that kids and adults can easily understand. He also includes links to other blogs about animals as well as informational websites. Although I do not teach animals in science class, I do teach about the effects humans can have on animals. This would be a great resource for my students to do some extra research.

2 comments:

Kris Haines said...

Wow! What a great site. I will be bookmarking this one for my students to use this spring for our animal reports. I particularly appreciate the videos and then the ability to comment or ask questions. It will be as if my students are asking expert zoologists.

Tracy Cook said...

This is a great site for science teachers. I will gladly share this link with them. It's a great way to get students interested and excited about science.

Tracy