Sunday, September 30, 2007

Week 3 Social Computing

I am so glad to have visited www.wikiteach.org ! It was like a lesson plan heaven, and they are all free. In our district, we are just getting Microsoft Sharepointe up and running. In this technological day and age, it would be nice to have a data bank of lesson plans instead of looking through the "old" filing cabinet. Some of my colleagues see it as one more thing to do, but I think that it is an excellent idea. We have to turn our "paper copy" lesson plans in at our library in a binder. It is so aggravating to do that. I am hoping that they will create a school folder on Sharepointe where we can submit our weekly lesson plans, and the administrators can look at them online as opposed to stopping what they are doing and head down to the library.

Wikiteach seems like it could be a big hit with educators. I already like Wikipedia(smile), even though I know that you should double check anything that you get from the site. It's just so quick, fast and "in the know!"
At first I uploaded my plan but had left the PC for a few minutes. My page was still there with the lesson on it. I hit "submit" and it said that I was successful in submitting it as a "guest user."
I didn't know how to delete it, so I edited my own post to apologize. I then re-submitted my plan, "Soda Straw Weaving", which my kids absolutely love to death!!
This is a fun, and inexpensive way to teach "modern and portable weaving." All you really have to purchase are the straws, or if you have a business partner you can get them from, do that. The yarns can be purchased from one of everyone's most favorite Mart in the world...know what I mean?
Once you get the kids into this, I can guarantee you that you will hear talking, communication and maybe even a loud voice or two, but all of them are communicating about their soda straw weaving experience. They are all on task, they readily help others, and are actively involved in the process and are proud of their results.

No comments: