Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Wiki's For Teachers

Written by: Jonathan Orr
As a biology teacher I came across a wiki called wikispecies. Wikispecies is a open source free directory of species. In a true wiki fashion anyone can add articles about a particular species. This would be a great spot for students to contribute information about species that they encounter, and of course an excellent source of information as well.

A second wiki that I could use as an educator is wikiversity. Wikiversity is a place for educators to create and share learning materials. Teachers can place simple things like content, or teachers can post lesson plans.

A third wiki I have contemplated using in my classroom is wikibooks. Students can add and create content on the wiki. There are many books that people can contribute to including wiki textbooks. By creating a wiki textbook the students are really making the content their own.

1 comment:

D.Bing said...

My kindergarten students would love exploring wikispecies. This wiki is very informative with great pictures. My little ones are fascinated with animals and insects. This is a very good wiki.